Friday 2 August 2013

Eggah with broad beans, cavolo nero, potato and mint






My recipe for eggah with broad beans, cavolo nero, potato and mint. Eggah is Middle Eastern egg dish similar to a fritatta or tortilla. The eggah or Persian Kuku is a versatile egg dish that can be either baked or fried. The eggah can also be served hot or cold and is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. This eggah recipe uses broad beans and cavolo nero as it's main ingredients - beautifully fresh, seasonal ingredients that are in abundance in the shops and markets at the moment.  However don't worry if you can't get hold of the cavolo nero - spring greens or spinach would be equally good here.   

The cavolo nero adds an interesting, almost bitter contrast to the sweetness of the broad beans which works well mixed with the eggs.

The eggah is also a great way of using up any leftover cooked vegetables. I had a few roast potatoes looking lonely in the fridge and this was a tasty way of using them up. Definitely a case of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts! 

So looking for a quick lunch idea, that used up some lonely roast potatoes I needed some inspiration.  My first port of call was the fabulous Ms Claudia Roden who is at the top of my food hero list. If you haven't already, check out A Book of Middle Eastern Food - a classic that needs to be on everyone's bookshelf in my opinion. 
There is a great section on cooking with eggs and the eggah features heavily - with many interesting and delicious sounding variations.  

This is my take on the traditional Middle Eastern eggah but please feel free to experiment with different flavours and additions to your eggah. Please leave a comment to let me know how you get on and I look forward to sharing more recipes with you soon. 

Eggah with broad beans, cavolo nero, potato and mint

Recipe by: chip butties and noodle soup

preparation time:  10 minutes
cooking time:  20-30 minutes

serves 4

ingredients:  

8 free range eggs
1 cavolo nero (spring greens or spinach would be good too if you can't find cavolo nero)
2 medium sized cooked potatoes 
1 bag of broad beans - about 15-20 pods
2 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

  1. preheat the oven to 190C
  2. grease a roasting dish - I used a rectangular one about 13X10 size 
  3. pod the broad beans then if necessary blanch for 2-3 minutes in boiling water before peeling the skins.
  4. finely chop the cavolo nero and saute in olive oil for a few minutes until softened.  
  5. Chop the potatoes and add with the broad beans to the cavolo nero - season with salt and pepper.
  6. Whisk the eggs then add to the vegetables - mix together then add to your roasting dish. 
  7. Cook for about 20 minutes until set but still a bit wobbly in the centre - it will firm up when you take it out of the oven.
  8. Serve hot or cold - enjoy and let me know how you get on :-) 
  9. NB: you can also cook your eggah in a frying pan like a tortilla or fritatta. 
optional extras:  
  • top with dollops of soft cheese or thick yogurt/labneh.
  • chopped fresh herbs - mint, dill, coriander or parsley would all be great.
  • Few sprinkles of paprika or cumin. 
eggah garnished with soft cheese, mint leaves and a sprinkling of paprika


I have entered this recipe into Javelin Warrior's Made with Love Mondays over at Cookin w/ Luv

JWsMadeWLuvMondays


Cooking with Herbs

I have also entered this recipe into 

8 comments:

  1. This is a new one to me, but it looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It's so versatile too - would be great so many different ingredients. Think I'll try with chorizo/goats cheese soon....

      Delete
  2. What a tasty dish - I have never heard of eggah before, but I love the combination of ingredients. This is the second time I've seen cavolo nero and very tasty use of it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for your comments and stopping by. I love using fresh, seasonal ingredients and this is such a versatile recipe...and simple too. Let me know if you give it a go :-)

      Delete
  3. holy cow I'm going to learn a lot about different ingredients on this blog. So glad I found you!

    This sounds like a wonderful meal, although I spent 5 minutes trying to pronounce everything correctly. Thank you Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by - thanks for your lovely comments. I love trying out new flavours and ingredients and making simple dishes that are packed with flavour. I'd love it if you gave some of my recipes a try and let me know what you think. Happy cooking :-)

      Delete
  4. I adore eggah and I am so chuffed to see a recipe for it entered into cooking with herbs, thanks so much! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. A big cooking with herbs fan and a new fan of eggah - am thinking up new combinations of flavours for my next one.

      Delete